Dr. Handrup holds a BS in Nursing from the University of Rhode Island, a MS in Nursing from St. Xavier University, Chicago, IL and a DNP from the University of Colorado Denver. Dr. Handrup is certified as an ANCC Clinical Specialist in Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing. She has practiced as an advanced psychiatric nurse clinician, manager and administrator in psychiatric hospitals, an educator in psychiatric nursing and psychotherapist. Dr. Handrup currently maintains a clinical practice is a multidisciplinary group psychiatric practice and is the President-Elect of the Global Alliance for Behavioral Health & Social Justice (Formerly the American Orthopsychiatric Association).
- NURS 414: Integrated Mental Health
- NURS 528: Mental Health Promotion & Disease Prevention: Behavioral Health II
- NURP 532: Clinical Practicum in Behavioral Health II
- NUPR 555: EBP 4 DNP - Project Faculty Mentor
- NURR 597: DNP Practicum
Board of Directors, American Orthopsychiatric Association.
APRN Advisory Panel, American Psychiatric Nurses Association.
- 2017 Daisy Foundation Faculty Award, University of Illinois at Chicago, (2016) Faculty award for exceptional impact and inspiration influence on their future.
- 2014 Clinical Practice Award, International Society of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurses (ISPN)
- 2014 Preceptor Award, PMHNP UIC College of Nursing
- 2010 Heart and Soul of Change Research Award for the best study addressing client directed outcome informed clinical practice.
- Woroch, R.A., Alvarez, D.V., Yingling, C, & Handrup, C.T. (2018) FNP/PMHNP collaboration in drug seeking telephone simulation in APRN curriculum. Clinical Simulation in Nursing. 18, 14-19.
- Handrup, C. (2015). Managing treatment failures in depression, bipolar disorders, and personality disorders. When medication is not enough. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 21, 60-61.
- Posmontier, B., Breiter, D., Cartier, J., Dilks, S., Esposito, N., Handrup, C., ... Newton, M. (2013). ISPN DNP Task Force on the DNP. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing. 27, 56-60.
- Delaney, K.R. and Handrup, C.T. (2011). Psychiatric mental health nursing’s psychotherapy role: Are we letting it slip away? Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 25, 303-305.
Dr. Handrup’s clinical scholarship is in therapeutic alliance, psychotherapy outcomes, using simulation to teach therapy & empathy skills, and global mental health and social justice issues.