Dr. Susan Corbridge is the Associate Dean for Practice and Community Partnerships in the College of Nursing at the University of Illinois at Chicago. As leader of the College’s Institute for Healthcare Innovation, she is responsible for the development and maintenance of faculty practice, including fiscal accountability and operations of all faculty practice sites, including the College of Nursing’s nurse managed clinic, Mile Square Health Center – Humboldt Park. Dr. Corbridge facilitates interdisciplinary models of care and provides strategic vision and leadership to promote the integration of student education, clinical practice and research.
Dr. Corbridge is a board certified Acute Care Nurse Practitioner and maintains a clinical practice in the Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, Sleep & Allergy Medicine. She has published widely and lectures nationally and internationally on pulmonary topics and interprofessional practice and education.
Areas of Expertise:
- Interprofessional Practice and Education (IPE)
- Academic-Practice Partnerships
- Respiratory Health and Disease, asthma & COPD
Dr. Corbridge is a master teacher and has received numerous teaching awards, including ‘Nurse Practitioner Educator of the Year’ from the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. She implemented high-fidelity simulation, team-based learning and interprofessional clinical educational rotations into the adult-gerontology primary and acute care nurse practitioner programs and has published outcomes on each of these areas of nurse practitioner education. She currently lectures in health assessment, pharmacology, applied pharmacology and the adult-gerontology primary and acute care management courses. In addition, she is a frequent guest lecturer providing content on respiratory disease diagnosis and management in the Family and Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Programs.
- Fellow, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Fellow, Institute of Medicine of Chicago
- Judith Lloyd Storfgell Distinguished Practice Award
- Nurse Practitioner Educator of the Year Award, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties
- Graduate Mentoring Award
- Outstanding Nurse Educator of Illinois Award
- Pinnacle Nursing Leader Award, Power of Nursing Leadership
- Corbridge, S. & Nyenhuis, S. (2017). Promoting Physical Activity in Asthma and COPD. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 13(1), 41- 46. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2016.08.022
- Corbridge, S., Tiffen, J., Carlucci, M., & Zar, F. (2013). Implementation of an Interprofessional Clinical Education Model. Nurse Educator, 38(6), 261-264. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NNE.0000435271.40151.23
- PubMed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=corbridge+susan
- 2017: A Nurse Driven Model of Care for the Department of Corrections, PI (Julie Zerwic, Co-I). Rita and Alex Hillman Foundation, $150,000
- 2017-2019: Nurse Education, Practice, Quality, and Retention – Interprofessional Collaborative Practice, PI, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Bureau of Health Workforce Division of Nursing and Public Health Nursing, $999, 988