My work focuses on health risk behaviors, specifically, consumer use of performance enhancing substances in the self-management of fatigue, and the subsequent implications for health policy.
- Cultural Fluency, Communication, and Ethics
- Clinical Concepts and Processes in Population Focused
- Nursing Health Systems Leadership & Informatics
Professional Nurse Cabinet member for The Honorable James Merritt, Senator for Indiana initiative to Kill Heroin in 5 Years (Twitter: #KillHerionIn5) (2017).
Midwestern Nursing Research Society. Nurses in Translational Science: Research Section Co-Chair (2016).
Midwestern Nursing Research Society. Co-Chair Addictions & Substance Abuse Research Section (2011-2013).
Peer reviewer for:
- American Journal of Public Health
- Annals of Epidemiology
- Journal of Patient Safety
- Journal of School Nursing
- Journal of Advanced Nursing
- Journal of Behavioral Health Japan
- Journal of Nursing Science
- Pharmacy (journal)
- Substance Abuse Western
- Journal Nursing Research
Invited Guest Expert: Energy drink dangers. Wharton: University of Pennsylvania. Knowledge@Wharton, live broadcast.
Guest Editorial: Energy drink adverse effects: What is being done to protect public health? Western Journal of Nursing Research, 2017.
National League for Nursing: Certified Nurse Educator, 2016.
Purdue University Teaching for Tomorrow Faculty Fellow Award, 2015-2016.
Sigma Theta Tau International Delta Omicron Chapter: Excellence in Education Award, 2015.
Purdue School of Nursing: Graduate Faculty Teaching Award, 2015.
Purdue Global Policy Research Institute Award (2013, March 19) for policy analysis: What Action Should the U.S. Food & Drug Administration Take to Minimize Adverse Effects Associated with Energy Drink Consumption?
Instruction Matters: Purdue Academic Course Transformation (IMPACT) Faculty Fellow, 2012. The overarching goal of IMPACT is to achieve a greater student-centered learning environment by incorporating active, collaborative learning as well as other student-centered teaching and learning practices and technologies into large enrollment foundational courses.
Lakeview College of Nursing Alumni Hall of Fame Award. May 14, 2011.
Lakeview College of Nursing. Recipient of exceptional faculty Flame Award, December 2010.
Sigma Theta Tau International: Alpha Lambda Chapter; Delta Omicron Chapter.
Thorlton, J., McElmurry, B., Hughes, T., McCabe, S., & Talashek, M. (2009, Nov.). American Academy of Nursing: Creating an Agenda for a Healthy Society. Recipient of Distinguished Poster Award. Poster title: Adolescent Use of Performance Enhancing Substances: A Secondary Analysis of 2007 National Youth Risk Behavior Data.
- Thorlton, J. & Collins, B. (2017). Underlying beliefs associated with college student consumption of energy beverages. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 1-15. DOI: 10.1177/0193945916686961.
- Hountz, D. , Coddington, J., Foli, K., & Thorlton, J. (in-press for 2017). Increasing colorectal cancer screening utilizing a quality improvement approach in a nurse-managed, primary care clinic. Journal for Healthcare Quality.
- Burke, S., & Thorlton, J. (2017). Diabetes self-management education: The art and science of disease management. In Cornell, C., Halstenson, C., & Miller, D. The art and science of diabetes self-management education desk reference (4th ed.). Chicago: American Association of Diabetes Educators.
- Thorlton, J., Ahmed, A., & Colby, D. (2016, May-Jun). Energy drinks: implications for the breastfeeding mother. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 41(3), 179-185. DOI: 10.1097/NMC.0000000000000228
- Thorlton, J., Colby, D., & Devine, P. (2014). What action should the U.S. Food & Drug Administration take to minimize adverse effects associated with energy drink consumption? American Journal of Public Health, 104(7), 1175-1180 [policy analysis]. DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2014.301967
- Burke, S., Thorlton, J., & Hall, M. (2014). Diabetes self-management education: The art and science of disease management. In Mensing, C., McLaughlin, S. & Halstenson, C. The art and science of diabetes self-management education desk reference (3rd ed.). Chicago: American Association of Diabetes Educators.
- Thorlton, J., Park, C.G., & Hughes, T. (2014). Diet pills, powders, and liquids: Predictors of use by healthy weight females. Journal of School Nursing, 30(2), 129-35. DOI:10.1177/1059840513494844
- VanCott, T., Yehle, K., Thorlton, J., (2013). Amiodarone induced pulmonary toxicity. Heart & Lung, 42(4), 262-6. DOI: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2013.05.004 • Pankop, R., Chang, K., Thorlton, J., Spitzer, T. (2013). Implemented family presence protocols: An integrative review. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 28(3), 281-88 DOI: 10.1097/NCQ.obo13e31827a472a
- Masterson, K.N. & Thorlton, J. (2012). Policy analysis of the Tanning Bed Cancer Control Act of 2011. Journal of Dermatology Nurses’ Association, 4(5), 1-4.
- Thorlton, J., McElmurry, B., Park, C.G., & Hughes, T. (2012). Adolescent performance enhancing substance use: Regional differences across the USA. Journal of Addictions Nursing, 23, 97-111.
- Burgener, S. & Thorlton, J. (2002). Measuring psychological well-being in cognitively impaired persons. The Gerontologist, 42(1).