Nurse-Midwifery / Women's Health Nurse Practitioner
Program of Study
- Required courses for program.
Our dual program offers students the ability to complete the requirements for both Nurse Midwifery and Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner programs. With additional clinical hours and a longer course of study, students will have met the requirements to sit for both certification exams.
- We offer full and part-time program plans in both specialties and will help students choose a plan of study that will work for them.
- The Doctorate of Nursing Practice prepares our students to be excellent practitioners and have the knowledge and expertise to be an effective leader and change agent in our ever changing and complex health care environment.
- UIC College of Nursing is everywhere in Illinois. Midwifery and WHNP students may attend courses and have clinical experiences at 5 campuses including Chicago, Rockford, Quad Cities, Peoria and Urbana. Students outside of Chicago take all their core courses at their site and then connect via video to specialty courses. Clinical experiences are arranged near their regional campus.
Our alumni have gone on to accomplish amazing things including…
- 4 presidents of the American College of Nurse Midwives
- 1 World Health Organization Chief Nurse Scientist
- Many directors of Nurse Midwifery Educational programs
- Many alumni began their own practices in a variety of settings.
- Hundreds of Publications
- Cutting edge research on topics like 2nd stage labor and Centering Pregnancy
Students will be eligible to sit for the certification exams offered by American Midwifery Certification Board (for midwives) and the National Certification Corporation (for WHNP) after completing the didactic and clinical practicum requirements.
Program Certification Pass Rates
|2016||90% (first attempt)||National 90%|
|2015||100% (first attempt)||National 93.4%|
|2014||84% (first attempt)||National 90%|
We encourage prospective students to learn more about the practice of Midwifery and Nurse Practitioners. Please use the links below to learn more.
Additional information about nurse midwifery can be found on the website of the American College of Nurse Midwives www.acnm.org
Additional information about the Nurse Midwifery Certification Exam can be found at http://www.amcbmidwife.org/
Additional information about WHNP’s can be found at https://www.npwh.org/
Additional information about the Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner Certification process can be found at http://www.nccwebsite.org/