The goal of my professional and scholarly work is to facilitate the exchange of evidence and data for school nursing to maximize child health and education. My focus is on the collection and dissemination of data that supports child health in the school setting.
My contributions are in 1) the adoption of information technology; 2) increasing the dissemination of professional resources and evidence; and 3) increasing skills in the use of data and knowledge to advocate for child health and well-being in school nursing and achieving the Triple Aim of care, health and cost.
- NURS 542. Health Promotion Theories and Population-focused Interventions
- NUPR 595 Clinical Options for Advanced Population Health
- NUPR 596 Partnering with Populations and Health Assessment
- NUPR 557 DNP Practicum
Lead Faculty & Coach, Johnson & Johnson School Health Leadership Program
- National Association of School Nurses Outstanding School Nurse Educator Award, 2015.
- Judith Lloyd Storfjell Distinguished Practice Award, University of Illinois Chicago College of Nursing, 2015. Recognition of faculty or alumnus with outstanding contribution to nursing practice
- National Association of School Nurses Outstanding School Nurse Educator Award, 2015. Recognition of outstanding school nurse educator’s significant contributions to school nursing
- National Association of School Nurses President’s Recognition Award, 2015. Uniform Dataset (Step Up and Be Counted) Steering Committee: In recognition of the development of the national school nurse data set efforts and demonstration of unwavering commitment to the future of school nursing and the quality of school nursing services
- Fellow, American Academy of Nursing, 2013. The most prestigious honor in the field of nursing recognizing significant accomplishments and extraordinary impact on the profession and health care
- National Association of School Nurses President’s Recognition Award, 2012. Recognition of advancing the evolution of school nursing research and integrating the association’s research agenda into policy and practice
- Fellow, American School Health Association, 2008. Leadership and services to the field of school health
- Fellow, National Association of School Nurses, 2002. Unique and extraordinary contributions to the advancement of professional school nursing practice
- Bergren, M.D. (2016). HIPAA, FERPA & the privacy of student health information in individual healthcare plans. In S.Will, M.J. & D.S. Zaiger (Eds). Individualized healthcare plans for the school nurse (In press). North Branch, MN: Sunrise River Press.
- Everett-Jones, S., Brener, N. & Bergren, M.D. (2015). School district policies that address chronic health conditions of students and professional development for school nurses who support such policies. Journal of School Nursing, 31, 163-166. doi:10.1177/1059840514547275
- Patrick, K., Mendonca, L.L., Maughan, E.D., Wolfe, L.C., & Bergren, M.D., Johnson, K.H., Gerdes, J., Watts, E., Pontius, D.J., & Cole, M. (2014). Standardized dataset for school health services: Step Up and Be Counted! NASN School Nurse, 29, 236-240. doi: 11771942602X14544448
- Maughan, E.D., Johnson, K.H., Bergren, M.D., Wolfe, L.C., Cole, M., Pontius, D.J., Mendonca, L.L., Watts, E., & Patrick, K. (2014). Standardized data set for school health services: Part 1—Getting to Big Data. NASN School Nurse, 29, 185-188. doi: 10.1177/1942602X14538414
- Dean, B.B., Kindermann, S.L., Carson, T., Gavin, J., Frerking, M. & Bergren, M.D. (2014). Healthe Kids: An assessment of program performance and participation, Journal of School Nursing,30, 420-439. doi: 10.1177/1059840514527622
- Bergren, M.D. (2013). The case for school nursing: Review of the literature. NASN School Nurse, 28, 48-51.
- Selekman, J., Vessey, J. A. & Bergren M.D. (2012). School nurses role in research and evidence-based practice (pp. 142-162). In J.Selekman (Ed.) School nursing: A comprehensive textbook. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.
- Bergren, M.D. Choromanski, L. & Issac, B. C.(2012). Transforming school health information (pp.365-396). In C. Costante (Ed.) School nurse administrators: Leadership and management. Silver Spring, MD: National Association of School Nurses.
- Johnson, K. H., Bergren, M. D. & Westbrook, L.O. (2012). The promise of standardized data collection: School health variables Identified by states. Journal of School Nursing, 28. 95-107. DOI: 10.1177/1059840511426434
- Bergren, M.D. & Monsalve, L. (2012). 2011 NASN membership survey: Developing and providing leadership to advance school nursing practice. NASN School Nurse, 27, 36-41. doi: 10.1177/1942602X11429829.
- Bergren, M. D. (2011). Being confident about HIPAA/FERPA. NASN Radio, Audio recording: http://www.nasn.org/Home/NASNRadio
- Bergren, M.D. (2011). Promote thyself! NASN School Nurse, 26, 322.
- Johnson, K. H. & Bergren, M. D. (2011). Meaningful use school health data. Journal School Nursing, 27, 102-110. DOI: 10.1177/1059840510391267
- Vollinger, L, Bergren, MD. & Belmonte, F (2011). Substitutes for school nurses. Journal School Nursing, 27, 111-119. DOI: 10.1177/1059840510388517
- Bergren, M.D. (2011). Does school nursing matter? School nurse sensitive outcome measures. NASN School Nurse, 26, 72-75.
- Kohl-Malone, S. & Bergren, M.D. (2010). Failure to rescue. Journal of School Nursing, 26, 344 – 351.
- Shannon, R.A., Bergren, M.D. & Matthews, A. (2010). Frequent visitors: Somatization in school-aged children and implications for school nurses. Journal of School Nursing,26, 169 - 182.
- ACHNE Research Committee (2010). Position statement: Research Priorities for Public Health Nursing, Public Health Nursing, 27(1), 94-100. DOI: 10.1111/j.1525-1446.2009.00831.x US: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.2009.00831.x
- Bergren, M.D. (2009, December 3). Testimony, School nursing, Forum on the Future of Nursing: Community, Public Health, Primary Care and Long Term Care. Philadelphia: Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Initiative on the Future of Nursing, at the Institute of Medicine.
- Bergren, M. D. (2009, June). Confident about confidentiality? HIPAA/FERPA made easy. NASN Radio, Audio recording http://www.nasn.org/Home/NASNRadio
- Lopez, C., Bergren, M.D., & Painter, S. (2008). Disparities in access to Latino child mental health services. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing. 21, 137 – 145.
- Powers, J., Bergren, M.D. & Finnegan, L. (2007). Comparison of school food allergy emergency plans to the Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network's standard plan. Journal of School Nursing, 23, 252 - 258.
- Schwab, N. C., Ruben, M., Maire, J. A., Gelfman, M. H. B, Bergren, M.D., Mazyck, D. & Hine, B. (2005). Protecting and disclosing student health information: Guidelines for developing school district policies and procedures. Kent, OH: American School Health Association.
- Bergren, M.D. (2005). Virtual first impressions. Journal of School Nursing, 21, 122 – 124.
- Bergren, M.D. (2004). HIPAA – FERPA revisited. Journal of School Nursing, 20, 107 - 112.
School Nurse Sensitive Critical Indicators
Uniform National School Nurse Dataset