Kathleen F. Norr, PhD, is a health sociologist who has conducted research on health care innovations based on the World Health Organization's primary health care model in both the USA and internationally. Previous research includes AIDS prevention for low income, African-American and Latina women in Chicago, and early hospital discharge and home visiting programs for new mothers and infants in disadvantaged communities. She developed a peer group intervention for HIV prevention, based on the primary health care model that has been successfully implemented for women in Botswana, nurses in Lithuania, and primary school teachers in Malawi. Her team has recently completed developing and testing a peer group intervention for HIV prevention for rural health workers, adults and adolescents in Malawi, funded by the National Institute for Nursing Research. This approach was also expanded to urban hospital workers in Malawi, funded by the World AIDS Foundation, and to community clinic workers in Chile, funded by the Fogarty Institute. With her colleagues in Midwifery and maternal-child health, she also is currently studying the Centering Pregnancy® model of group prenatal care. Her current research is testing an integrated preconceptual health and HIV prevention for rural young women in Malawi.
Dr. Norr has taught research methodology at the doctoral, masters, and undergraduate levels. She is the faculty mentor for both U.S. and international doctoral students, and conducts research and publishes in collaboration with several former students. She is currently a faculty sponsor on the AIDS International Training Research Program, and serves as a Co-I on a capacity building grant for Kamuzu College of Nursing in Malawi
- 2007 Inducted, Honorary Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Nursing Society
- 2011 Jonas Salk Researcher of the Year Award, March of Dimes Illinois Chapter
- Kaponda, C.N., Norr, K., Crittenden, K.S., Dancy, B.L., Jere, D.L., Kachingwe, S.I., Mbeba, M. M., McCreary, L.L., Norr, J.L. (2011). Effects of peer groups for HIV prevention for rural adults in Malawi. Health Education and Behavior 38(2), 159-170.
- Mbeba, M., Kaponda, C. P. N, Jere, D. L. Kachingwe, S. Crittenden, K. S., McCreary, L. L., Norr, J. L., Norr, K. L. (2011). Peer group intervention reduces personal HIV risk for Malawian health workers. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. doi: 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01384.x
- Chimwaza, A. F., Chimango, J. L., Kaponda, C.P.N., Norr, K. F., Norr, J. L. , Jere, D. L., Kachingwe, S. I. (2012). Changes in clients' care ratings after HIV prevention training of hospital workers in Malawi. International Journal for Quality in Health Care 2012; doi: 10.1093/intqhc/mzr080
- Cianelli, R., Ferrer, L., Norr, F., K., Miner, S., Irarrazabal, L., Bernales, M., Peragallo, N., Levy., J., Norr., J., McElmurry, B. (2012). Mano a mano mujer an effective HIV prevention for Chilean. Health Care for Women International 33 (in press). NIHMSID: NIHMS294091.
- Norr, K.F., Ferrer, L., Cianelli, R., Crittenden, K.S., Irarrázabal, L., Cabieses B, & Araya A. (2012). Peer Group Intervention for HIV Prevention among Health Workers in Chile. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care. 23 (1), 73-86.
- Shimpuku, Y. & Norr, K. (2012). Working with interpreters in cross-cultural qualitative research in the context of a developing country: systematic literature review. Journal of Advanced Nursing. doi: 101111/j.1365-2648.2012.05951.x
- Warren, Nicole, Keeney, G.B, Norr, K.F. (2012) Matroniya: The lived experiences of rural auxiliary midwives in Koutiala, Mali. Health Care for Women International, DOI:10.1080/07399332.2012.673659)
- Giurgescu, C., Kavanaugh, K., Norr, K F., Dancy, B.L., Twigg, N.M., McFarlin, B.L., Engeland, C. G., Hennessy, M.D., & White-Traut, R.C. (2012). Stressors, resources and stress responses in pregnant African American women: A mixed methods pilot study Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing.
Peer groups for healthy pregnancy & HIV prevention for young Malawian women