As a CNM I have and interest and expertise in caring for women throughout the lifespan and have cared for them in a variety of settings. A special interest of mine is in the high rate of unintended pregnancy in the United States, particularly among adolescents. In my teaching and writing I place special emphasis on reducing unintended pregnancy through education, counseling, effective contraception, and elimination of pap screening and pelvic exams for adolescents initiating contraception. another special interest of mine is the importance of promoting breastfeeding due to the many short and long term benefits. I created a tool which clinicians can use in the clinic to assist with antepartum teaching. Also, I plan to collaborate on an upcoming research project related to adolescent breastfeeding.
Finally, I have been precepting students for many years, teaching in an academic setting since 1997, first at the University of Washington and have been at the University of Illinois since 2003.
I am teaching graduate students in the Nurse-Midwifery Educational Programs, My primary teaching responsibilities are in the Health Care of Women, management courses, although I do guest lectures in other courses in the College for undergraduate and graduate students.
- 2012 Graduate College membership
- 2005 ACNM Foundation, Inc., Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2003 Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing
- 2000 University of Washington. Preceptor Recognition Award
- 2000 University of Washington, Appreciation for outstanding service to nurse-midwifery by facilitating excellent clinical education
- 1984 Recognition for work done as Trip Coordinator for Los Medicos Voladores, (medical missions)
- Gabzdyl, E. , McFarlin, B., Engstrom,& J Camune, B. (2012). Eliminating Pap Screening and Pelvic Exams for Adolescents Initiating Contraception. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health. Submitted November 2012
- Gabzdyl, E. (2011). Contraceptive Care of adolescents: Overview, Tips, Strategies, and Implications for School Nurses. Journal of School Nursing, 26(4), 267-277.
- Camune, B. & Gabzdyl, E. (2007). Breast-feeding after breast cancer in childbearing women. Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, 21(3), 225-233.
Research Grant - Co-Investigator (Status Pending)
Breastfeeding among rural postpartum adolescents
Midwest Nursing Research Society (MNRS)