I am interested in interventions that reduce symptoms and improve quality of life in persons with chronic illness. Specifically, I use exercise interventions to increase exercise tolerance in patients with COPD, diabetes, and chronic renal failure. We are also using breathing retraining combined with exercise to reduce dynamic hyperinflation and perceptions of dyspnea.
Research Measurement and Methods
- Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing
- Fellow of the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Collins EG, Langbein WE, Fehr L, O’Connell S, Jelinek C, Hagarty E, Edwards L, Reda D, Tobin MJ, Laghi F. Can Ventilation-feedback augment exercise performance in COPD? Am J Resp and Crit Care Med. 2008;177:844-52.* (Editorial by Richard Casaburi, p. 805-807).
- Collins EG, Gater D, Kiratli J, Butler J, Hanson K, Langbein WE. Energy cost of physical activities in persons with spinal cord injury. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2010;42(4):691-700.* (Commentary by Robert W. Kenefick, p. 689-690).
- Kostovich C, Saban K, Collins EG. Becoming a nurse researcher: the importance of mentorship. Nursing Science Quarterly 2010;23(4):281-286. (senior author)
- Hussain O, Collins EG, Tobin MJ, Laghi F. Contrasting pressure-support ventilation and helium-oxygen during exercise in severe COPD. Resp Medicine. 2011:105(3):494-505.
- Collins EG, Halabi S, Langston M, Schnell T, Tobin MJ, Laghi F. Sexual Dysfunction in Men with COPD: Impact on Quality of Life and Survival. Lung 2012 Oct 190(5):545-56.
- Collins EG, O’Connell S, McBurney C, Jelinek C, Butler J, Reda D, Gerber BS, Hurt C, Grabiner M. Comparison of Walking with Poles and Traditional Walking for PAD Rehabilitation. Journal of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention. 2012 Jul 32(4):210-218.
- Collins EG, McBurney C, Butler J, Jelinek C, O’Connell S, Fritschi C, Reda D. The Effects of Walking or Walking with Poles Training on Tissue Oxygenation in Patients with PAD. International Journal of Vascular Medicine. 2012(985025), 1-8.
- Jubran A, Duffner LA, Collins EG, Lanuza DM, Hoffman LA, Tobin MJ. Weaning from Prolonged Mechanical Ventilation. Journal of the American Medical Association (2013) Jan 22:1-7 (online version).
- 2009-2013 Reducing Dynamic Hyperinflation Through Breathing Retraining, PI, VA RR&D (F6955R), $1,100,000.
- 2009-2013 Exercise-Induced Neuroplasticity-Mediated Rehabilitation in Type 2 Diabetic Veterans with Peripheral Neuropathy, Co-I (Stubbs, PI), VA RR&D (B6954R), $1,100,000.
- 2010-2014 Structured Exercise in Obese Diabetic Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: A Randomized, Controlled Trial, Co-PI (Leehey, co-PI), VA RR&D (F7264R), $1,059,300.
- 2013-2016 Strength Training to Enhance Early Recovery After Stem-Cell Transplantation, Co-I (Hacker, PI), American Cancer Society, $716,000
- 2010-2014 Effects of Exercise Training on Fluid Instability in Heart Failure Patients, Mentor (Andrea Boyd, PI), VA HSR&D (NRI 09-228-1), $877,000.
- 2010-2015 Momentary Behavioral Effects of Physical Activity in Adults with T2 Diabetes, Primary mentor/Co-investigator (Cynthia Fritschi, PI), NIH (1K99NRO12219-01), $934,261.
- 2013-2017 Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for Women at Risk for Cardiovascular Disease, Primary Mentor/Co-Investigator (Karen Saban, PI), VA HSR&D (NR 12-413-1), $1,098,706.