Carrie S. Klima graduated from Loyola University of Chicago with a BSN in Nursing in 1982. She graduated from the University of Illinois Chicago’s Nurse Midwifery educational program in 1986 and received her PhD in Nursing from the University of Connecticut in 2002. She is a Clinical Professor at the UIC College of Nursing and the program director for the nurse-midwifery and women’s health nurse practitioner programs. She is a member of the UIC Nurse Midwifery Practice, doing Centering Pregnancy groups at University of Illinois Health System. Dr. Klima is a founding board member of the Centering Healthcare Institute and has been involved with group prenatal care practice and research since 1999.
- Women's Health and Midwifery
- Group Prenatal Care
- Healthcare Leadership and Practice Change
- Feminism and Women's Health
Nurse Midwife in the University of Illinois Health System Nurse Midwifery Practice
- Jonas Salk Award Nurse of the Year, Illinois March of Dimes
- Fellow in the American College of Nurse Midwives
- Gary Gardner Award, Illinois Maternal & Child Health Coalition
- Provider Award
- Joyce Roberts Award
- ACNM Illinois Chapter
- Klima C. Centering Pregnancy: A model for pregnant adolescents. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health. May/June 2003, p220-25.
- Klima, C., Reynolds, H & Magriples, U. (2003). Group prenatal care improves preterm birthweight: Results from a matched cohort study at public clinics. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 102(5), 51-57.
- Ickovics JR ., Kershaw, TS., Westdahl, C., Rising, S., Klima, C., Reynolds, H., & Magriples, U. Group Prenatal Care Improves Preterm Birth Weight: Results from a Matched Cohort Study at Public Clinics. Vol. 102 (5) Obstetrics and Gynecology, pp. 51-57.
- Rising, S., Kennedy, H., & Klima, C. Redesigning Prenatal Care through CenteringPregnancy® . Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 2004, 49(5), pp 398-404. Klima, C., Norr, K., S. Vonderheid, S. & Handler, A. CenteringPregnancy® in a Public Health Clinic. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health. January/February 2009 54 (1) 27-34.
- Klima, C., Norr, K., S. Vonderheid, S. & Handler, A. (2009). CenteringPregnancy in a public health clinic. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 54(1), 27-34. Ickovics, J.R., Kershaw, T.S., Westdahl, C., Rising, S.,
- Vonderhied, S., Klima, C., Norr, K., Grady MA, & Westdahl, C. (2013). Using focus groups and social marketing to strengthen promotion of group prenatal care. Advances in Nursing Science, 36(4), 320-335.
- Patil, C., Abrahams, E., Klima, C., Kaponda, C., Lesharbi, S., Vonderheid, S., Kamanga, M., & Norr, K. (2013). CenteringPregnancy-Africa: A pilot of group antenatal care to address Millennium Development goals. Midwifery, 29(10), 1190-1198. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/l.midw.2013.05.008.
CenteringPregnancy impact and effectiveness in community settings
Implementing CenteringPregnancy in low resource settings in Tanzania and Malawi