1. What nurse practitioner specialties are offered by the BHS Department?
- Acute Care Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner
- Primary Care Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner
2. What is the degree required?
- The UIC College of Nursing advocates the DNP degree as entry to practice for all advanced practice specialties. We no longer offer a Master’s degree option for our nurse practitioner (NP) programs.
- Completion of the DNP degree provides graduates the ability to become Board Certified as an Acute or Primary Care Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner.
- Post Master’s DNP Program- with a new nurse practitioner specialty as an acute or primary care Adult-Gerontology Nurse Practitioner.
3. How long is the program?
- The BSN to DNP NP programs can be done full time ( 3 years) or part time (4 or 5 year program plan option)
4. What are the tuition costs?
- The DNP program is a ‘professional degree’ program within the University of Illinois.
- Link to tuition information...
5. What about nurse practitioner preceptors; do I have to find my own?
- Faculty at UIC arrange all clinical rotations for students.
- Our UIC CON NP students are assigned highly qualified preceptors at clinical sites selected by the program directors. Our College of Nursing faculty believe that by partnering with skilled preceptors at a variety of we ensure that each of our NP students are provided with the best mentorship experiences while learning the clinical practice skills necessary to meet population-focused competencies over the course of their clinical experiences. We have a wide variety of clinical sites including the University of Illinois hospital and ambulatory clinics, VA hospitals and outpatient clinics as well as many other hospitals, urgent care and ED sites and additional primary and acute care sites. We also incorporate high-quality simulation scenarios into our curriculum to provide out students with advanced hands-on patient management experiences.
6. How do I find a DNP Project?
- College of Nursing faculty provide support for DNP students to have access to appropriate clinical site resources for DNP Projects for our DNP students.