Frequently Asked Questions
Where Do I Get My Cap & Gown?
- Academic dress is required for the College Commencement ceremony.
- Undergraduate student caps and gowns may be purchased from the bookstores in the UIC Student Centers East (312-413-5500) or West (312-413-5550).
- Graduate students should purchase their attire in the Medical Bookstore in the UIC Student Center West.
- Students at a regional campus other than Chicago may purchase orders for delivery using the phone numbers above.
- Pricing for caps and gowns is not yet available but will posted by early March.
- Caps and gowns will be available for purchase in the bookstores at the beginning of April.
Am I Eligible For University Honors?
- University Honors are awarded to undergraduate students only and are determined by the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs.
- Cumulative point average falls within the following honors categories:
- Summa cum laude: 3.90 and above;
- Magna cum laude: 3.75 to 3.89; or
- Cum laude: 3.50 to 3.74.
- Transfer students must have completed a minimum of 42 semester hours as of end of Fall term prior to graduation and a minimum of 60 hours by the time of graduation at UIC to be eligible.
- Students eligible for University Honors will receive an e-mail notification from the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Affairs.
- The College of Nursing is not responsible for the determination nor notification of these Honors, please contact the Office of the Vice Provost.
- Students eligible for honors will receive a cord that should be worn during the ceremony.
- Honors cords will be distributed at the Honor’s College Convocation and at the Grad Finale Ceremony.
- Honors Cords for students on the Urbana campus will be distributed by regional staff.
Will I Receive A Cord To Wear At The Ceremony?
- Only those receiving Academic Honors will be provided a cord (see above.) Organizations outside of the University may provide cords for participants, please contact the appropriate leadership for individual organizations for details.
What Name Will Be On My Diploma?
- Your name as it appears in your my.uic.edu account as of the last day of classes will appear on your diploma.
- If you have a change of name that you would like to appear on your diploma, please complete the Current Student Diploma Name Change form to request changes to your name.
- If you should have any questions, please contact the Records Office at 312-996-4381, M-F, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
What Date Will My Degree Be Conferred?
- There can often times be confusion between Graduation and Commencement. For clarification, Commencement and Graduation are separate events. Graduation is the completion of all degree requirements as recorded on the official transcript. Commencement is the ceremony that celebrates the completion of a degree. To determine conferral dates please consult the UIC Registrar’s Office: http://registrar.uic.edu/student_records/diploma_faq.html
- For those needing certification for exams, please note that University has several procedural steps that take additional time for completion. For this reason, please allow 4-6 weeks after the last day of class for final certification processing.
When Will My Degree Be Conferred?
- The University has several procedural steps that take additional time for completion. For this reason, please allow 4-6 weeks after May 11th for final certification processing.
When Will I Receive My Diploma?
- Diplomas will be mailed two to three months after graduation. The printed diploma will be delivered to your active mailing address, unless you have created an active diploma address in the my.UIC portal. Addresses can be updated from the Personal Information menu. Any changes to the delivery address of the diploma after the last day of classes should be reported to the Records Office at 312-996-4381, M-F, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Will Photos Be Taken At The Ceremony?
- Photography services will be provided by UIC Photo.
- An individual photograph will be taken of each graduate as they receive their diploma cover and after they leave the stage.
Will There Be A Webcast Of The Ceremony?
- The College of Nursing ceremony will be broadcasted virtually. To access the webcast, please visit the UIC Commencement website at the designated time of the ceremony. Viewers will need to click on the link for the College of Nursing. Details on ordering a copy of the ceremony are available on the UIC Commencement website.
What If I Or One Of My Guests Needs Accessibility Accommodations?
Accessibility accommodations should also be noted on the RSVP form that all graduates are required to fill out. Special needs/hearing-impaired guests may obtain seating assistance from any Pavilion staff the day of the ceremony.
Is There A Rehearsal For Commencement?
No. There is no rehearsal for the commencement ceremony.
Are Tickets Required For Guests?
No tickets are required for guests. Due to limited available seating, we recommend that you do not invite more than 4-5 guests. Seats are available on a first come first served basis.