MNHRC - New Name, New Mission, New Space

Jan. 23, 2014

A grand re-opening event kicked off the newly remodeled and renamed Midwest Nursing History Research Center (MNHRC).  During the fall of 2013, the Center underwent a complete renovation with its renewed commitment to the highest archival standards as well as cosmetic changes such as new furniture, carpeting, and paintwork.  The Center also announced a name change from the Midwest Nursing Resource Center to welcome its new focus on the research potential of the collections they maintain and the field of historical research of nursing in general.

MNHRC was formed with support of a 1978 federal grant to develop nurse faculty research in the Midwest. The first MNHRC museum and archives opened in 1982 in another UIC location and moved to its present location in the CON building in 1989.     

Dr. Brigid Lusk, MNHRC Director                     

For over thirty years, the core of the museum has celebrated the scholarship of nursing history, which is recognized inter-nationally as a critical field of nursing scholarly inquiry.  It is now even more visibly supported by the CON with the goal of becoming one of the leading centers for nursing historical research in the U.S. 

Dr. Arlene Keeling was the days’ guest speaker and presented Collaborating in Crisis: Chicago Visiting Nurses and the 1918 Influenza Epidemic.  Dr. Keeling is the Centennial Distinguished Professor of Nursing at the University of Virginia. Her major research work at present is in nursing history which made her a perfect fit for this inaugural event.   The presentation was followed by refreshments and tours of the Center.