Dr. Krassa has experience teaching in graduate and undergraduate nursing programs, where she has expertise in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation for many years. Dr. Krassa’s scholarly interests have three main foci: One focus is decision making: patient decision making (especially oncology patients), and nurse decision making (especially for nurse political behavior). Another focus is neighborhood design and health outcomes. And the other focus is on innovative teaching strategies and increasing critical thinking of nursing students. Other scholarly interests include: health policy; women's health issues in breast cancer and cardiovascular disease; ethics and quality of life; self-efficacy; health promotion and wellness issues; advanced practice roles and outcomes; cultural competence; and health care delivery systems. She also has experience in questionnaire development.
Dr. Krassa currently teaches graduate core courses on research methods, on nursing theory, and on evidence-based practice. She also currently teaches several graduate-level nursing education courses on instructional design, on student evaluation/ program evaluation, and on curriculum processes. In addition, Dr. Krassa teaches the undergraduate health assessment course. In past semesters, she taught an ethical-legal issues nursing elective, leadership and management, transition to professional nursing, and pathophysiology in the undergraduate program. She has also taught the graduate-level nursing education administration course.
- Nurse Educator Fellowship, from the Illinois Board of Higher Education
- List of Teachers Ranked As Excellent By Their Students, at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Teaching Recognition Program Award, from the Council for Excellence in Teaching and Learning at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Graduate Award for Faculty Excellence, from the Graduate Student Organization at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing
- Faculty Excellence In Teaching Award, from the Illinois League For Nursing
- Academy of Distinguished Teachers, from the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing