Dr. Eldeirawi’s current program of research focuses on multilevel modifiable risk factors for chronic conditions, including asthma, in children from underserved and immigrant populations. His research investigates:
- Risk factors for asthma and other respiratory conditions in children, especially those of Mexican origin.
- Independent and interactive effects of maternal perinatal nutrition and stress on the risk of asthma and respiratory symptoms in Mexican American children.
- How diet, lifestyle, and other environmental and lifestyle factors change by migration and acculturation and the effects of these changes on the risk of asthma, obesity, and risk factors for cardiovascular diseases in children.
- Associations of neighborhoods social and physical environments with asthma, respiratory conditions, and asthma risk factors.
Dr. Eldeirawi has also been involved in studies examining factors related to diabetes and its complications, insulin resistance, postpartum depression, and outcomes in ICU patients.
- Community Health Nursing
- Nursing Inquiry
- Intermediate Statistics
- Basic and Intermediate Epidemiology,
- The Epidemiology of Pediatric Diseases
- Biometrics and Applied Statistics (Ph.D.)
- Multivariate Analysis for Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- 2009 Midwest Nursing Research Society New Investigator Award
- 2006 The Haenszel Research Award, Division of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2006 Delta Omega Honor Society, Lambda Chapter
- 2005 Paul Q. Peterson Scholarship, School of Public Health, University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2004 Provost Award for Graduate Research, University of Illinois at Chicago
Eldeirawi K, Kunzweiler C, Combs A, Persky V. In utero exposure to pets and the risk of asthma in Mexican American children. Journal of Asthma. (in press)
Eldeirawi K, Kunzweiler C, Atek A, Persky V. (2015) Antibiotic use in infancy and the risk of asthma in Mexican American children. Journal of Asthma, 3;1-8.
Bani-issa W, Al Tawil H, Eldeirawi K. (2015) Attitudes of healthcare professionals in community settings toward diabetes in the United Arab Emirates. Journal of Diabetes Mellitus.
Eldeirawi K, Koenig MD, Persky V, Chavez N. (2014). Nativity and serum concentrations of antioxidants in Mexican American children: A cross-sectional study. Nutrients, 16(4):1598-607.
Rosenberg N, Eldeirawi K. (2014). Relationship of serum carotenoid concentrations with allostatic load among middle aged adults in the USA. Public Health Nutrition, (11):1-9.
Boyden J, Kavanaugh K, Issel M, Eldeirawi K, Meert KL. (2014). Experiences of African American parents following perinatal or pediatric death: A literature review. Death Stud, 38(6):374-80.
Vasa R, Eldeirawi K, Kuriokose VG, Nair GJ, Newsom C, Bates J. (2014). Postpartum depression in mothers of infants in neonatal intensive care unit: Risk factors and management strategies. Am J Perinatol, 31(5):425-34.
Bani-issa W, Al Momani F, Eldeirawi K. (2013). Urinary incontinence among adult women with diabetes in Jordan: Epidemiology, correlates and perceived impact on emotional and social well-being. J Clin Nurs. Sept. 21 (epub ahead of print).
Mahmood K, Eldeirawi K, Wahidi M. (2012). Association of gender with outcomes in critically ill patients. Crit Care, 16(3):R92.
Eldeirawi K, McConnell R, Furner S, Freels S, Stayner L, Hernandez E, Amoruso L, Torres S, Persky V. (2010). Frequent ear infections in infancy and the risk of asthma in Mexican American children. J Asthma, 47(4):473-7.
Mahmood K, Akhter N, Eldeirawi K, Önal E, Christman JW, Carley DW, Herdegen JJ. (2009). Prevalence of type 2 diabetes in patients with obstructive sleep apnea in a multi-ethnic population. J Clin Sleep Med, 5(3):215-21.
Eldeirawi K, McConnell R, Furner S, Freels S, Stayner L, Hernandez E, Amoruso L, Torres S, Persky V. (2009). Associations of doctor-diagnosed asthma with immigration status, age at immigration, and length of residence in the United States in a sample of Mexican American school children in Chicago. J Asthma, 46(8):796-802.
Eldeirawi K, Persky VW. (2007). Associations of physician-diagnosed asthma with country of residence in the first year of life and other immigration-related factors: Chicago Asthma School Study. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol, 99(3):236-243.
Persky V, Turyk M, Piorkowski J, Coover L, Knight J, Wagner C. Hernandez E. Eldeirawi K, Fitzpatrick A. (2007). Inner City asthma: The role of the community. Chest, 132(5 Suppl):831S-839S.
Eldeirawi K, Persky VW. (2006). Associations of acculturation and country of birth with asthma and wheezing in Mexican American youths. J Asthma, 43(4):279-86.
Eldeirawi K, McConnell R, Freels S, Persky VW. (2005). Associations of place of birth with asthma and wheezing in Mexican American children. J Allergy Clin Immunol, 116(1):42-8.
Eldeirawi K, Persky V. (2004). History of ear infections and prevalence of asthma in a national sample of children aged 2-11 years: The third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994. Chest, 125:1685-92.
Eldeirawi K, Lipton R. (2003). Predictors of hemoglobin A1c in a national sample of non-diabetic children: The third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994. Am J Epidemiol, 157(7):624-32.
Eldeirawi KM, Zuraikat N. (2001). Registered nurses’ actual and perceived knowledge of diabetes. J Nurses Staff Dev, 17(1),5-11. (Republished in J Vasc Nurs, 19, 95-100)
- Neighborhood Social and Physical Environments and Asthma in Mexican American Children
- Perinatal Stress, Diet and Risk of Wheezing/Asthma in Offspring of Mexican Women
- Study of Asthma in Children of Mexican Descent
- Immigration Research
- Maternal Antioxidant Serum Levels and Asthma in Children