Dr. Ryan holds a joint appointment with the College of Nursing as a Clinical Assistant Professor and with the University of Illinois Hospital as the Director of Evidence Based Practice and Nursing Research.
Dr. Ryan's research interest is symptom interpretation and symptom clustering. She has completed studies related to knowledge of symptoms in adults at risk for heart attack, symptom clusters in persons with acute myocardial infarction (AMI), and symptom clusters as they relate to delay in seeking treatment for AMI. She is currently completing a study on Symptom Clusters in Acute Heart Failure Patients and using Symptom Clusters to Prognosticate Mortality.
Dr. Ryan teaches NURS 550 "Evidence-Based Practice" in the DNP program and NURS 554 "Translating Evidence into Practice" and is a member of the DNP task force. She recently developed a clinical experience, Student Nurse Transition Partners" for senior undergraduate nursing students. She is a guest lecturer for cardiovascular topics in a variety of courses.
Dr. Ryan is the Director of EBP and research at the University of Illinois Hospital. Students should contact their advisor if they want to find out more about current opportunities at the hospital prior to contacting Dr. Ryan directly.
- 2012 – CETL CIG Award – Student Nurse Transition Partners
- 2011 – Maria Titler Best Research Poster Award – University of Iowa Evidence Based Practice Conference
- 2011 – Graduate Student Organization Faculty Award of Excellence Nominee
- 2009 - CETL Departmental Teaching Excellence Award
- 2006 - Fellowship –American Heart Association and the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing
- 2004 – Dissertation Award – Midwest Nursing Research Society, Acute Care Section
- 2003 – Martha Hill New Investigator Award Finalist – American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Nursing
- 2003 – Cardew-Mullane Award in Clinical Excellence and Leadership – University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2003 – Dean’s Award (Academic Excellence in Doctoral Program) – University of Illinois at Chicago
- Ryan, C., Choi, H., Fritschi, C., Hershberger, P., Vincent, C., Hacker, E.D., Zerwic, J., Norr, K. Park, H. J., Tastan, S., Keenan, G., Finnegan, L, Zhao, Z., & Wilkie, D. J. (In press). Challenges and Solutions for Using Informatics in Research. Western Journal of Nursing Research.
- Pragodpol, P. & Ryan, C. (2012). Critical review of factors predicting health-related quality of life in newly diagnosed coronary artery disease patients. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 27(5), 365 – 456.
- Siehoff, A. & Ryan, C.J. (2012). Time of day and accurate weights for patients with heart failure. Clinical Scholars Review. 5(2), 106-115.
- Poomsrkiaew, O. Ryan, C., & Zerwic, J.J. (2010) Knowledge of heart attack symptoms and risk factors among native Thais. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 16(5), 492-498.
- Ryan, C.J., DeVon, H.A., Horne, R., King, K.B., Milner, K., Moser, D.K., Quinn, J., Rosenfeld, A., Hwang, S.Y., & Zerwic, J.J. (2007). Symptom clusters in acute myocardial infarction: Secondary data analysis. Nursing Research, 56(2), 72-80.
- DeVon, H.A. & Ryan, C.J. (2005) Chest pain and associated symptoms of acute coronary syndromes. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 20(4), 232-238.
- Ryan, C.J., DeVon, H.A.,& Zerwic, J.J. (2005) Typical and atypical symptoms: Diagnosing acute coronary syndromes accurately. American Journal of Nursing, 105 (2), 34-36.
- Ryan, C., & Zerwic, J.J. (2004). Knowledge of symptom clusters among adults at risk for AMI. Nursing Research, 53(6), 363-369.
- Ryan, C., & Zerwic, J.J. (2003). Perceptions of symptoms of myocardial infarction related to health care seeking behaviors in the elderly. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 18(3) 184-196.