Dr. Barbara McFarlin Inducted into Highly Prestigious AAN Class of 2015 Fellows
Dr. Barbara McFarlin, Associate Professor & Head of the Department of Women, Children, & Family Health Science, has been selected by the American Academy of Nursing (AAN) as one of its Class of 2015 fellows. Fellowship in the AAN is highly selective and considered the highest honor in the nursing profession.
Dr. McFarlin is a remarkable scholar. A Certified Nurse Midwife for more than 30 years, her program of research focuses on reducing the occurrences of preterm birth by understanding the processes of preterm birth that lead to early cervical failure and preterm birth. Dr. McFarlin received acknowledgement of her exceptional scholarship through NIH funded grants, the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research, fellowship into the American College of Nurse Midwives, the 2012 Jonas Salk Award for Leadership in Research, and several other awards. Dr. McFarlin is most deserving of this prestigious honor.
Dr. McFarlin is among 163 nurse leaders, including seven UIC College of Nursing alumni, to be inducted as Academy fellows. Our alumni that will be inducted include:
- Alice Tse, PhD, RN, APRN – University of Hawaii at Manoa, PhD ’91
- Linda L. Olson, PhD, RN, NEA-BC – National Council of State Boards of Nursing, PhD’95, (also MBA’01)
- Paul Kuehnert, DNP, RN – Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, MS ’91, DNP ’12
- Gail Mallory, PhD, RN, NEA-BC – Oncology Nursing Society, PhD ’87
- Joan E. Edwards, PhD, RNC, CNS – Texas Woman’s University, BSN ’69
- Katherine Camacho Carr, PhD, ARNP, CNM, FACNM – Seattle University, MS ’74
- Lilian Marcela Ferrer Lagunas, PhD, MS, RN – Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile, MS ’00
Dr. McFarlin and our alumni will be inducted into the AAN on October 17, 2015 in Washington, D.C.