Mi Ja Kim, PhD, RN, FRCN, FAAN is well known for her leadership in broad areas of professional nursing at national and international levels. She was a Senior Fulbright Scholar for one year at Yonsei University College of Nursing in Seoul, Korea, and served on the White House Health Professionals Review Group for the Health Care Reform Task Force under the leadership of then‐First Lady Hillary Clinton. She was a Member of the Board of Trustees of the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools. She is the Founder and Chair, Board of Directors of the Global Korean Nursing Foundation.
Dr. Kim's research and scholarly interests include nursing leadership; international health; evaluation of the quality of nursing doctoral education; and cardiovascular health disparities in Korean-Americans.
In 2013, Dr. Kim retired from her role as Professor and as the Executive Director of the Global Health Leadership Office, and the Director of the Academy of International Leadership Development at the College of Nursing (CON). She served as the Vice Chancellor for Research and Dean of the Graduate College at UIC (1995‐1999). She is also Dean Emerita, having served as the Dean of the College of Nursing from 1989‐1995 and Interim Dean from 2009‐2010. Dr. Kim received her BSN from Yonsei University College of Nursing, Seoul, Korea and her PhD in Physiology from UIC. She received an honorary doctoral degree in law from North Park College, Chicago, Illinois. She is an Honorary Fellow of the Royal College of Nursing (FRCN), UK. In 2012, Dr. Kim was recognized as a Living Legend by the American Academy of Nursing “in honor of [her] extraordinary contributions to the nursing profession, sustained over the course of [her] career.”
- 2010 Award of Excellent for nursing faculty
- 2007 Golden Apple Award
- 2006 Teaching Excellence Award for nursing faculty
- 2005 Silver Circle Award
- 2001- Present List of Faculty rated excellent by students, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1992 Inducted into Sigma Theta Tau, Alpha Lambda Chapter, University of Illinois at Chicago
- Living Legend Award, American Academy of Nursing
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Honorary Fellow of Royal College of Nursing
- Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree, North Park College, Chicago, IL
- Mary Tolle Wright Award for Excellence in Leadership, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Asian American Pacific Islanders Nurses Association
Kim, M. J., Park, C. G., Kim, MinJ., Lee, H. K., Ahn, Y. H., Kim, E. S., Yoon, S. N., & Lee, K. J. (2011). Quality of nursing doctoral education in Korea: Toward Policy Development. J. of Advanced Nursing. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2648.2011.05885.x
Kim, M. J., Lee, S. J., & Lee. H. K. (2011). Lifestyle advice for Korean Americans and native Koreans with hypertension. JAN, 67(3), 531-539.
Kim, M. J., Lee, H. K., Kim, H. K., Ahn, Y. H., Kim, E. S., Yun, Y. S., & Lee, K. J. (2010). Quality of faculty, students, curriculum and resources for nursing doctoral education in Korea: A focus group study. Int. J. of Nursing Studies, 47:295-306.
Kim, M. J., McFarland, G. K., & McLane, A. M. (Eds.). (1984). Classification of Nursing Diagnoses: Proceedings of the Fifth National Conference. St. Louis, MO: C.V. Mosby
Kim, M. J., McFarland, G. K., & McLane, A. M. (Eds.). (1984). Pocket guide to nursing diagnosis. St. Louis, MO: C.V. Mosby
- Bridges to the Doctorate for Minority Nursing Students (R25), National Institute of General Medical Science, (NIGMS), National Institutes of Health;
- Quality of Nursing Doctoral Education: 7-Country Study, Global Korean Nursing Foundation (in part);
- Rwanda Human Resources for Health Program, Ministry of Health, Government of Rwanda;