Dr. Kapella's research focuses on fatigue and insomnia in people with chronic illness. She is currently investigating non-pharmacological therapy for people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease who have problems falling asleep or staying asleep.
Dr. Kapella teaches and serves as a research mentor to students at the master's and doctoral levels.
- 1998 Doctoral Dissertation Award, Kapella (PI). Nursing Assembly of the American Lung Association of Metropolitan Chicago
- 1999 Doctoral Dissertation Award, Kapella (PI). Nursing Assembly of the American Lung Association of Metropolitan Chicago
- 2007 Clinical Translational Scholars Award. 2007, Center for Clinical Translational Science, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago,
- 2008-11 Mentored Research Scientist Development Awardee, NIH, National Institute for Nursing Research
- 2009 UIC Council for Excellence in Teaching Departmental Teaching Excellence Award
- 2011 UIC Chancellor’s Discovery Fund for Multidisciplinary Pilot Research Awardee
- Covey, M., McAuley, E., Kapella, M., Collins, E., Alex, C., Berbaum, M., & Larson, J. (2012) Upper-Body Resistance Training and Self-Efficacy Enhancement in COPD. Journal of Pulmonary and Respiratory Medicine, S(9):1-8.
- Kapella MC, Herdegen JJ. (2012). Non-pharmacological therapy for insomnia in chronic illness. American Thoracic Society Treatment Strategies Respiratory. 3(1), 45-48.
- Corbridge, S., Wilken, L., Kapella, MC. & Gronkewicz, C. (2012). An Evidence-Based Approach to COPD: Part 1. American Journal of Nursing. 112(3) 46-57. PMID: 22333971.
- Kapella MC, Herdegen JJ, Perlis ML, et al. (2011). Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia co morbid with COPD is feasible with preliminary evidence of positive sleep and fatigue effects. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, 11(6) 625-635. PMID: 22162648.
- Berger BE, Kapella MC, Larson JL. (2011). The experience of stigma in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 33(7):916-932. PMID: 20940446.
- Kapella MC, Larson JL, Covey MK, Alex CG. (2011). Functional Performance in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Declines with Time. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 43(2):218-24. PMID: 2989985.
- Kapella, MC, Larson, JL., Patel, M., Covey, MK., Berry, JK. (2006). Subjective fatigue, influencing variables and consequences in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Nursing Research, 55(1)10-17. PMID:16439924.
- Larson, JL., Kapella, MC, Wirtz, S., Covey, MK., & Berry, J. (1998). Reliability and validity of the Functional Performance Inventory in patients with moderate to severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Journal of Nursing Measurement, 6(1) 55-73.
- Kapella, MC (PI). Efficacy and mechanisms of a behavioral therapy for insomnia coexisting with COPD. RO1, NIH/NINR (1R01NR013937-01A1).
- Rubin L, and Kapella, MC. (co-PIs). UIC Chancellor’s Discovery Fund for Multidisciplinary Pilot Research. A pilot study of mechanisms underlying the relationship between hot flashes, sleep and memory dysfunction in perimenopausal women.