Linda L. McCreary, PhD, RN, FAAN is a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Nursing (UIC CON), Associate Dean for Global Health, and Co-Director of the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) Collaborating Centre for International Nursing Development in Primary Health Care. She currently chairs the Pan American Network of Nursing and Midwifery Collaborating Centres (PANMCC) and serves as the WHO Americas Regional Office representative to the Executive Board of the Global Network of WHO Collaborating Centres for Nursing and Midwifery.
She teaches courses in global health leadership at the graduate and undergraduate levels and serves as research mentor to numerous PhD students and international post-doctoral visiting scholars. Issues related to instrument development and measurement in cross-cultural research are a particular area of her expertise.
Dr. McCreary is the Principal Investigator/Program Director (PI/PD) of the Human Resources for Health project in Rwanda, a project funded by the Clinton Health Access Initiative, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria through the Ministry of Health, Rwanda. The aim of this 7-year project is to improve education of health care professionals and strengthen the healthcare-delivery infrastructure in Rwanda.
She is also PI/PD of a 3-year project to promote development of nursing education in India through strengthening education, research and cultural understanding, funded by the US - India Educational Foundation (USIEF) Obama-Singh 21st Century Knowledge Initiative. UIC CON partnered with Bel-Air College of Nursing to develop the curriculum for a Master’s of Science in Medical-Surgical Nursing with Subspecialty in HIV Nursing, the first of its kind in India. Faculty at Bel-Air and UIC have conducted several collaborative research projects and presented their work at many scientific conferences.
Dr. McCreary has also participated as co-investigator on five NIH-funded research projects to develop and test the effectiveness of hospital-based and community-based HIV prevention interventions with health care workers, community adults and adolescents in Malawi (K. Norr, PI). She is presently a co-investigator on an NIH-funded study to test a Community Implementation Model to strengthen community capacity to roll out and sustain an HIV prevention program in Malawi (K. Norr, PI).
She developed and tested the Family Effectiveness Measure to assess effective and ineffective family functioning in low-income, African American families, which has been used to assess family functioning in research with incarcerated adults and women in substance use recovery programs.
- Research methods
- Instrument development
- Issues in cross-cultural research
- Primary health care
- Global mental health
- Leadership in Global Health
- 2016-2018 Representative of WHO Americas Regional Office (AMRO), Executive Board, Global Network of World Health Organization Collaborating Centres for Nursing and Midwifery (GNWHOCC)
- 2016-2018 Chair, Pan American Network of Nursing and Midwifery Collaborating Centres (PANMCC)
- 2014-2016 Treasurer, Pan American Network of Nursing and Midwifery Collaborating Centres
- 2015-present UIC Diversity Committee Chairs (Campus-wide Diversity Committee)
- 2014-present Member, Expert Panel on Global Nursing and Health, American Academy of Nursing
- 2002-present Executive Board Member, Alpha Lambda Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- Signa Theta Tau International, past president of Alpha Lambda chapter at UIC
- 2012 Beverly J. McElmurry Award for Contributions to International Nursing
- 2012 Power of Nursing Leadership Pinnacle Award
- Jeong, Y.M, Hughes, T.L., McCreary, L., Johnson, T.P., Park, C., Choi, H. (In Press). Validation of the Korean parental depression literacy scale. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing.
- Cassiani, S.H.D.B., Wilson, L.L., Mikael, S.S.E., Morán-Peña, L., Zarate-Grajales, R., McCreary, L.L., Theus, et. al. (2017). The Situation of Nursing Education in Latin America and the Caribbean towards Universal Health. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, 25, e2913. Epub May 11, 2017. https://dx.doi.org/10.1590/1518-8345.2232.2913 (Published in English, Spanish and Portuguese)
- Park, S.H., Park, C.G., McCreary, L.L., Norr, K.F. (2017). Cognitive Interviews for Validating the Family Nutrition Physical Activity Instrument for Korean-American Families with Young Children. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. Volume 36, September–October 2017, Pages 1-6, ISSN 0882-5963, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pedn.2017.04.014.
- Min, H., Vincent, C., Matthews, A.K., McCreary, L.L., Park, C.G., & Latimer, M. (2017). Factors Affecting Korean Neonatal Pain Care: Translation and Validation of Three Instruments. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 0193945917690124.
- Park, S.H., Kim, M.J., Park, C.G., McCreary, L.L., Patil, C., & Norr, K.F. (2015). Family factors and BMI among Korean-American preschoolers. Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 30, e101–e11107/2015; DOI:10.1016/j.pedn.2015.06.006
- Lee, C.-K., Corte, C., Stein, K.F., Finnegan, L., McCreary, L.L., & Park, C.G. (2015). Expected problem drinker possible self: Predictor of alcohol problems and tobacco use in adolescents. Substance Abuse,36(4), 434-439. DOI: 10.1080/08897077.2014.988323. Epub 2014 Dec 31. PubMed PMID: 25551683; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4490133.
- Brysiewicz, P., Hughes, T.L., & McCreary, L.L. (2015). Promoting innovation in global nursing practice. Rwanda Journal Series F: Medicine and Health Sciences, 2(2), 41-45. DOI: 10.4314/rj.v2i2.7F
- Kim, G.S., Chu, S.H., Park, Y, Choi, J.Y., Lee, J.I., Park, C.G., & McCreary, L.L. (2015). Psychometric Properties of the Korean Version of the HIV Self-Management Scale in Patients with HIV. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 45(3), 439-448. http://dx.doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.3.439
- Kim, G.S., Lee, C.Y., Kim, I. S., Lee, T.H., Cho, E., Lee, H., McCreary, L.L., & Kim, S.H. (2015). Dyadic Effects of Individual and Friend on Physical Activity in Undergraduate Students. Public Health Nursing. Article first published online: 01/06/2015. DOI: 10.1111/phn.12176
- Crittenden, K. S., Kaponda, C. P., Jere, D. L., McCreary, L. L., & Norr, K. F. (2015). Participation and diffusion effects of a peer-intervention for HIV prevention among adults in rural Malawi. Social Science & Medicine, 133, 136-144. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.03.055
- Lee, Y.W., Dai, Y.T., McCreary, L.L. (2015). Quality of work life as predictor of nurses’ intention to leave their units, organizations and the profession. Journal of Nursing Management, 23(4), 521-531. First published online: 18 Nov 2013 DOI: 10.1111/jonm.12166
- Lee, Y.W., Dai, Y.T., McCreary, L.L., Yao, G., & Brooks, B.A. (2014). Psychometric properties of the Chinese-version Quality of Nursing Work Life Scale. Nursing & Health Sciences, 16(3), 298–306. DOI: 10.1111/nhs.12099
- Lee, C.K., Corte, C., Stein, K.F., Park, C.G., Finnegan, L., & McCreary, L.L. (2014). Prospective Effects of Possible Selves on Alcohol Consumption in Adolescents. Research in Nursing & Health. First published online: 12/2014 DOI: 10.1002/nur.21641
- Boonpleng, W., Park, C.G., Gallo, A., Corte, C., McCreary, L.L., & Bergren, M. (2013). Ecological influences of early childhood obesity: a multilevel analysis. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 35, 742-759. DOI: 10.1177/0193945913480275
- Lee, G., McCreary, L.L., Kim, M.J., Park, C.G., Jun, W., & Yang, S. (2013). Depression in low-income elementary school children in South Korea: Gender differences. Journal of School Nursing, 29 (2), 132-141. DOI: 10.1177/1059840512452887
- McCreary, L.L., Conrad, K.M., Conrad, K. J., Scott, C.K., Funk, R.R., & Dennis, M.L. (2013). Using the Rasch measurement model in psychometric analysis of the Family Effectiveness Measure. Nursing Research, 62 (3),149-159. DOI: 10.1097/NNR.0b013e31828eafe6
- McCreary, L.L., Kaponda, C.P.N., Davis, K., Kalengamaliro, M., & Norr, K.F. (2013). Empowering peer group leaders for HIV prevention in Malawi. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45(3), 288–297. DOI: 10.1111/jnu.12031
- Lee, Y.W., Dai, Y.T., Park, C.G., & McCreary, L.L. (2013). Predicting quality of work life on nurses’ intention to leave. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 45 (2),160-168. DOI: 10.1111/jnu.12017
- Lee, G., McCreary, L.L., Breitmayer, B., Kim, M.J., & Yang, S. (2013). Promoting mother–infant interaction and infant mental health in low-income Korean families: Attachment-based cognitive behavioral approach. Journal for Specialists in Pediatric Nursing, First published online: 9 May 2013 DOI: 10.1111/jspn.12034
- McCreary, L.L., Park, C.G., Gomez, L., Peterson, S., Pino, D., & McElmurry, B.J. (2012). A mixed-methods evaluation of school-based active living programs. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 43 (5S4),S395-S398. DOI:10.1016/j.amepre.2012.06.030
- Lee, G., McCreary, L.L., Kim, M.J., Park, C.G., & Yang, S. (2012). Individual and environmental factors influencing questionable development among low-income children: Differential impact during infancy versus early childhood. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing (English Issue), 42 (7), 1039-1049. DOI: 10.4040/jkan.2012.42.7.1039
- Kaponda, C.P.N., Norr, K.F., Crittenden, K.S., Norr, J.L., McCreary, L.L., Kachingwe, S I., Mbeba, M.M., Jere, D.L.N., & Dancy, B. L., (2011). Outcomes of an HIV prevention peer group intervention for rural adults in Malawi. Health Education & Behavior, 38(2),159-170. DOI: 10.1177/1090198110378588
- Cianelli, R., Ferrer, L., Norr, K.F., McCreary, L.L., Irarrázabal, L., Bernales, M., & Miner, S. (2011). Stigma related to HIV among Community Health Workers in Chile. Stigma Research and Action, 1(1), 3-10. DOI: 10.5463/sra.v1i1.11
- Mbeba, M.M., Kaponda, C.P.N., Jere, D.L., Kachingwe, S.I., Crittenden, K.S., McCreary, L.L., Norr, J.L., & Norr, K.F. (2011). Peer-group intervention reduces personal HIV risk for Malawian health workers. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 43(1), 72-81. DOI: 10.1111/j.1547-5069.2011.01384.x
- Rongmuang, D., McElmurry, B.J., McCreary, L.L., Park, C.G., Miller, A.G., & Corte, C. (2011). Aspects of physical appearance among young women in Thailand. Body Image: An International Journal of Research, 8 (4), 396-403. DOI:10.1016/j.bodyim.2011.05.004
- Ju, H.O., McElmurry, B.J., Park, C.G., McCreary, L.L., Kim, M.J., & Kim, E.J. (2011). Anxiety and uncertainty in Korean mothers of children with febrile convulsion: cross-sectional survey. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 20 (9-10), 1490-1497. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2010.03496.x
- McCreary, L.L., Kaponda, C.P.N., Kafulafula, U.K., Ngalande, R.C., Kumbani, L.C., Jere, D.L.N., Norr, J.L., & Norr, K.F. (2010). Process evaluation of HIV prevention peer groups in Malawi: A look inside the black box. Health Education Research, 25(6),965-978. DOI: 10.1093/her/cyq049
- Jere, D.L., Kaponda, C.P.N., Chimwaza, A., Crittenden, K.S., Kachingwe, S.I., McCreary, L.L., Norr, J.L., & Norr, K.F. (2010). Improving universal precautions and client teaching for rural health workers: a peer-group intervention. AIDS Care, 22, 649-657. DOI:10.1080/09540120903311458
- Rongmuang, D., McElmurry, B.J., McCreary, L.L., Park, C.G., Miller, A.G., Corte, C. (2010). Regional differences in physical appearance identity among young adult women in Thailand (Midwest Nursing Research Society 2010 Best Paper). Western Journal of Nursing Research, 33(1), 106-120. DOI: 10.1177/019394591038176
- Tsai, P-Y., Boonpleng, W., McElmurry, B.J., Park, C.G., & McCreary, L.L. (2009). Lessons learned in using Take 10! with Hispanic Children. Journal of School Nursing, 25, 163-172. DOI:10.1177/1059840509331437
- Kaponda, C.P.N., Jere, D.L., Chimango, J.L., Chimwaza, A., Crittenden, K.S., Kachingwe, S.I., McCreary, L.L., Norr, J.L., & Norr, K.F. (2009). Impacts of a peer group intervention on HIV-related knowledge, attitudes and personal behaviors for urban hospital workers in Malawi. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 20, 230-242. DOI:10.1016/j.jana.2008.12.005
- Gomez-Feliciano, L., McCreary, L.L., Sadowsky, R., Peterson, S., Hernandez, A., McElmurry, B. J., & Park, C. G. (2009). Active Living Logan Square: Joining Together to Create Opportunities for Physical Activity. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 37 (6S2), S361-S367. DOI:10.1016/j.amepre.2009.09.003
- McElmurry, B. J., McCreary, L.L., Park, C. G., Ramos, L., Martinez, E., Parikh, R., Kozik, K., & Fogelfeld, L. (2009). Implementation, outcomes and lessons learned from a collaborative primary health care program to improve diabetes care among urban Latino populations. Health Promotion Practice, 10, 293-302.
- McCreary, L.L., Kaponda, C. P. N., Norr, K. F., Jere, D. L., Chipeta, C., Batista, E., & Davis, K. (2008). Rural Malawians’ perceptions of HIV risk behaviors and their sociocultural context. AIDS Care, 20, 946-957.
- Talashek, M. L., Kaponda, C. P. N., Jere, D. L., Kafulafula, U., Mbeba, M. M., McCreary, L.L., Norr, K. F. (2007). Identifying what rural health workers in Malawi need to become HIV prevention leaders. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, 18, 41-50.
Principal Investigator from 02/01/2017 - present. “Building an Effective Partnership for Nursing Education and Research to Address Public Health in India.” Funded by the United States - India Educational Foundation (USIEF/OSI/2014/01). 2014-2018. This project implements and evaluates a program to support development of a new Master in Nursing Science specializing in HIV nursing at Bel-Air College of Nursing, Panchgani, Maharashtra, India, and to assist faculty in developing a program of research focused on HIV-related stigma, through collaboration in education and research and through faculty and student exchange activities.
Principal Investigator from 02/01/2017 - present. “Rwanda Human Resources for Health Program.” Funded by the Ministry of Health of Rwanda.
Co-Investigator. “A Community-Based Implementation Model for HIV Prevention and Testing in Malawi,” Funded by NIH/National Institute of Nursing Research (1R01NR015409-01A1). Kathleen F. Norr/Chrissie P.N. Kaponda, Co-Principal Investigators. 2015-2020. This study will test a Community Implementation Model to roll out and sustain an HIV prevention program shown to reduce risky behaviors for both adults and adolescents in low-resource communities of Malawi. Testing this theory-based model will advance implementation science and strengthen community capacity to implement evidence- based programs.
Co-Investigator 8/01/2014 – 1/31/2017. “Building an Effective Partnership for Nursing Education and Research to Address Public Health in India.” Funded by the United States - India Educational Foundation (USIEF/OSI/2014/01) Tonda Hughes, Principal Investigator. 2014-2018.
Program Manager, “Bridges to the Doctorate for Minority Nursing Students,” Mi Ja Kim, PhD, RN, FAAN, Principal Investigator (PI) from 2003-2014; Linda Scott, PhD, RN, FAAN, PI from 09/2014 – 06/2016. Julie Zerwic, PhD, RN, FAAN, PI from 07/2016 – 06/2018. Funded by NIH National Institute of General Medical Sciences (5R25GM067590-14). This project recruits master’s students in nursing from underrepresented backgrounds and supports their transfer to PhD study and successful graduation, to increase the number of career research scientists from underrepresented backgrounds.