Research focuses on patients' risk factors and symptoms of cardiovascular disease examining factors that influence patient recognition of acute coronary syndrome, stroke, and heart failure and factors that contribute to patient delay in seeking treatment. Fatigue has recently been examined as an important symptom of cardiovascular disease.
As Executive Associate Dean responsible for executing strategic initiatives, managing facility improvements, and serving as a bridge between academic and business functions in the College. I lead the College's diversity strategic plan which focuses on recruiting and retaining students, staff and faculty from diverse backgrounds in order to ensure the success of all members of the College.
- Measurement in Health Research
- Research Methods
- 2011 Senior Investigator award. Midwest Nursing Research Society, Stress and Coping Research Section.
- 2009 Departmental Teaching Excellence Award, Council for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, University of Illinois at Chicago. Award given to the Department of Biobehavioral Health Science.
- 2009 Fellow of the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC) Academic Leadership Program for 2009-2010.
- 2008 Inducted as a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing.
- 2008 Faculty excellence award. Alpha Lambda Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau.
- 2007 Graduate Mentoring Award, University of Illinois at Chicago Graduate College.
- 2003 Inducted as a Fellow of the American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing
- Poomsrikaew, O., Berger, B., Kim, M.J., & Zerwic, J.J. (2012). Age and Gender Differences in Social-Cognitive Factors and Exercise Behavior among Thais. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 34(2), 245-264.
- Poomsrikaew, O., Ryan, C.J., & Zerwic, J.J. (2010). Knowledge of heart attack symptoms and risk factors among native Thais: A street-intercept survey method. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 16, 492-498.
- Fink, A.M., Eckhardt, A.L. Fennessy, M.M., Jones, J., Kruse, D., VanderZwan, K.J., Ryan, C.J. & Zerwic, J.J. (2010). Psychometric Properties of Three Instruments to Measure Fatigue in Myocardial Infarction. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 32(7), 967-983.
- Fennessy, M.M., Fink, A.M., Eckhardt, A.L., Jones, J., Kruse, D., VanderZwan, K.J., Ryan, C.J., Zerwic, J.J. (2010). Gender Differences of Fatigue Before and After Acute Myocardial Infarction. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, 30: 224-230.
- Ennen, K. & Zerwic, J. (2010). Stroke Knowledge: How is it impacted by rural location, age and gender? Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Healthcare, 10(1), 9-21..
- Fink, A.M., Sullivan, S. Zerwic, J.J., & Piano, M.R. (2009). Fatigue in systolic heart failure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 24(5), 410-417.