The focus of Dr. Fink’s laboratory is on understanding how sleep disorders impact the cardiovascular system. Ongoing experiments define the mechanisms linking disrupted sleep with the development of high blood pressure. There are two areas currently under investigation: (1) defining the impact of experimental shift-work on circadian patterns in blood pressure and heart rate variability, and (2) determining how pharmacologic and optogenetic manipulations of neurons in the pons can influence cardiorespiratory responses to experimental sleep apnea. These studies have important implications for designing interventions that reduce cardiovascular morbidity in the millions of Americans afflicted with sleep apnea syndrome and circadian rhythm disorders.
NURS 534 (Advanced Physiology) and NUEL 596 (Sleep Research Seminar)
Performing histology, sleep scoring, ventilation studies, and experiments in nerve/cardiac physiology.
- 2016 Marie Cowan Promising Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association
- 2014 Abstract Scholarship, Assembly on Sleep & Respiratory Neurobiology of the American Thoracic Society
- 2013 Bloomberg Emerging Scholar, University of Toronto
- 2011 Martha N. Hill New Investigator Award, American Heart Association
- 2011 Outstanding Thesis Award, University of Illinois at Chicago
- 2010 Fellow, Summer Genetics Institute, National Institute of Nursing Research
- 2009 Love of Learning Award, Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
- 2005 U.S. Army Commendation Medal
- 2001 Spirit Award, Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Hacker ED, Fink AM, Peters T, Park C, Fantuzzi G, Rondelli D. Persistent fatigue in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation survivors. Cancer Nurs. 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Fink AM, Topchiy I, Ragozzino M, Amodeo D, Waxman JA, Radulovacki M, Carley DW. Brown norway and zucker lean rats demonstrate circadian variation in ventilation and sleep apnea. Sleep, 2014;37(4):715-21.
- Weaver TE, Calik M, Farabi SS, Fink AM, Galang-Boquiren, MT, Kapella MK, Prasad B, Carley DW. Innovative treatments for obstructive sleep apnea. Nature and Science of Sleep, 2014;6:137-147.
- Gu L, Fink AM, Chowdhury SAK, Geenen DL, Piano MR. Cardiovascular responses and differential changes in mitogen-activated protein kinases following repeated episodes of binge drinking. Alcohol & Alcoholism, 2013;48(2):131-7.
- Fink AM, Gonzalez RC, Lisowski T, Pini M, Fantuzzi G, Levy WC, Piano MR. Fatigue, inflammation, and projected mortality in heart failure. Journal of Cardiac Failure, 2012;18(9):711-6.
- Vuckovic KM, Fink AM. The six-minute walk test: Is it a method to evaluate heart failure therapies? Biological Research for Nursing, 2011; 14(2):147-59.
- Fennessy MM, Fink AM, Eckhardt AL, et al. Gender differences in fatigue associated with acute myocardial infarction. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation and Prevention, 2010; 30(4):224–30.
- Fink AM, Eckhardt AL, Fennessy MM, et al. Psychometric properties of three instruments to measure fatigue with myocardial infarction. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 2010; 32(7):967–83.
- Fink AM, Sullivan SL, Zerwic JJ, Piano MR. Fatigue with systolic heart failure. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 2009; 24(5):410–417.
- Fink AM. Endocarditis after valve replacement surgery. American Journal of Nursing, 2006; 106(2):40–51.
Neurobiological Mechanisms of Sympathetic Regulation in Sleep Apnea, National Institute of Nursing Research, 4R00NR014369.
Pontine Mechanisms for Hypertension Pathogenesis with Experimental Sleep Apnea: A Feasibility Study Using Optogenetics. Dean's Fund, College of Nursing.
Circadian Blood Pressure Patterns in Shift-Working Rats. Midwest Nursing Research Society, Seed Grant.